Who’s the Boss? An Update on Employee vs. Contractor Status
Audrey Mross, Senior Partner, Munck Wilson LLP.
The growth in the contingent worker economy coupled with taxing authorities’ search for revenue streams has resulted in a marked upswing in employee misclassification investigation and enforcement activity and litigation. This discussion will lay bare the reasons for employers’ complacency on the misclassification issue, explain regulators’ shift from laissez faire to “let’s go get them”, summarize the current state of the federal and state law and provide a checklist for an internal audit of your workplace.
Join us as we:
• Understand the pros and cons of using independent contractors,
• View the timeline of increasing enforcement activity by state and federal authorities,
• Review specific state statutes & how misclassification impacts workers’ compensation and unemployment
• Understand how misclassification is being litigated via individual and class actions,
• Identify the activities that tend to trigger claims,
• Review the most commonly applied criteria used to determine employee vs contractor status in legal