Assessing Leadership Talent - How to Match the Tools to Your Needs
Sharon Wingron, President, Wings of Success LLC.
There are many assessment tools on the market with purposes ranging across the employee life cycle from hire to retire and everything in between. It can be overwhelming - you first need to define what “assessment” means. Our profession uses the term for front-end tools as well as after-the-fact evaluation. The stakes are high when using assessments for HIPO and Leadership selection and development. Often the first tool you “meet” is the one you like best, but is it the tool that will best serve your stakeholders? You need to ensure the tools you use are valid, fit the purpose and your organization. In this workshop, you’ll learn a process for navigating the world of assessments. We’ll explore when to use them (and when not to), how to determine your assessment needs, criteria for choosing assessments, and strategies for maximizing results from your assessments application. You’ll be prepared to assess assessments from a more professional and objective perspective.
Application on the Job:
- Assess what your HIPO or Leadership Development need is
- Determine the type of assessment that will meet your need
- Ask key questions to gain insight beyond the marketing message for the tools you are considering
- Apply a checklist for determining which tool is the right fit for your application
- Guide others in your organization in the research and selection of assessment tools