The Bottomline on ROI - Proving the Value of Learning & Talent Development
Jack J. Phillips, Ph.D., Chairman, ROI Institute, Inc.
This one-day workshop introduces the concept of ROI, the fastest growing metric for evaluating HR, Learning
and Talent Development. Participants are exposed to the ROI Methodology, which includes developing
objectives, collecting data, isolating the effects of the program, converting data to monetary values, tabulating
appropriate program costs, and calculating the ROI. Participants quickly see the advantage of using ROI
as six types of data are collected and analyzed. This workshop takes the mystery out of the use of ROI.
BENEFITS OF THE ROI METHODOLOGY
• Align programs to business needs
• Show contributions of selected programs
• Justify/defend budgets
• Improve support for programs
• Enhance design and implementation processes
• Identify inefficient programs that need to be redesigned or eliminated
• Identify successful programs that can be implemented in other areas
After completing this workshop, participants should be able to:
• Identify the drivers for ROI
• Make the business case for ROI
• Develop program objectives at multiple levels
• Explain how to achieve business alignment
• Explain how ROI works
• Identify 7 of the 12 Guiding Principles
• Describe the 10 steps in the ROI
• Plan next action steps
MATERIALS YOU WILL RECEIVE
• The Bottomline on ROI: Benefits and Barriers to Measuring Learning, Performance Improvement,
and Human Resource Programs, 3rd Edition
• Detailed 60-page participant workbook, complete with exercises and exhibits
• Process Model
• Application Guide
1. The Growth of ROI for Non-capital Investments.
2. The importance of ROI.
3. The Value Chain.
4. Case Study.
5. Typical Applications.
6. Business Alignment.
7. Data Collection Issues.
8. Data Analysis Steps and Issues.
9. ROI Calculations: Variations and Use.
10. Using the Results.
11. Optimization and Allocation.
12. Implementing and Sustaining ROI Use.